whg recognised as a Disability Confident Leader
20th January 2023
whg has been named a Disability Confident Leader, in recognition of its work to ensure all those with disabilities are included and supported.
The leading Midlands’ landlord is one of just two organisations in Walsall to have achieved Leader status, the highest level of accreditation. To reach this status, whg had to demonstrate how it has actively removed barriers that might prevent disabled people and those with long term health conditions from accessing employment, as well as make sure they have opportunities to fulfil their potential.
Some of the practical support whg offers to colleagues with disabilities include:
- Bespoke advice and support for colleagues with a disability
- Support for colleagues with dyslexia by conducting assessments that identify their needs and then putting things in place to help
- Guaranteeing interviews to disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the role
- Allowing extra time for candidates with disabilities to undertake assessments during the recruitment process
- Encouraging supply chain contractors to pledge their support to Disability Confident as part of procurement and tendering processes
Toby Deakin, Head of People Services, said: “The Disability Confident scheme allows us to demonstrate our commitment to ensuring people with disabilities are treated fairly and can enjoy the same opportunities as everyone else.
“Achieving the highest level of accreditation gives us a real sense of pride; not only do we encourage and support applicants with disabilities, we also support existing disabled colleagues to fulfil their potential and feel included at work.”