Skip to main content

This agreement is called a Mutual Exchange.

If you find someone who wants to exchange with you, you must get our permission before you move.

Need more information?

Get in touch with us.

What are the rules about home swapping (exchanging)?

You have the right to exchange with the assured or secure tenant of a council or housing association anywhere in the UK. We can only defer or refuse your exchange if you or the person you want to exchange with:
• has rent arrears
• is in breach of the tenancy agreement
• would be moving to a home that would be unsuitable (eg the home is too large, too small or has medical adaptations that you or they do not need)
• has outstanding repairs caused by damage or neglect.

We have 42 days from the date we receive your completed application form to make a decision.

Exchange application form

Get in touch with our Occupancy Team: email or call 0300 555 6666 for more information and to request an application form.

Complete this form only if you have found someone who has agreed to exchange their home with you.

What are you looking for?

These popular pages may help…

Get involved

Get involved and keep up with what’s happening.


Advice and support services to help you manage your work, finances, health and more.

My account

Everything you need in one place, from paying your rent to reporting a repair.