Important notice

Repairs service update

We are completing more than 200 repairs every day, but we know some customers are having to wait longer than we would like for an appointment. For full details about why and what we’re doing about it, click below.


Skip to main content
Press 'Speak' on any page to have the content read load
Use the + and - buttons to toggle the page zoom
100 %
If this happens, it is important that you tell us so we can make changes and put things right.

We will aim to put things right and ensure we learn from your experience to improve our services.

You can make a complaint in the most convenient way for you – in person, in writing, by telephone or by email. We will ask you what your complaint is about and what you would like us to do to put things right.

You can make a complaint if:
  • we fail to do something we should have done
  • we fail to provide the quality or frequency of service we have said we will
  • we did something the wrong way
  • we did something we should not have done
  • we fail to deal with something in line with our policy and standards.

Sometimes you may be unhappy with something but do not wish to make a formal complaint. If we have made a mistake that is easy for us to resolve and you do not want to make a formal complaint then we will aim to do this within 3 working days.

When you make a formal complaint we will acknowledge we have received it. We will contact you to discuss what has happened. A Manager will fully investigate your complaint and will reply to you in writing. We will let you know when we expect to get a response to you and agree a new time if we can not meet this initial date.

Once you have received our reply to your Investigation stage complaint, if you feel that there is additional information that we did not consider, for example, you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed. You should request for this to be done within 28 days of receiving our response.  We do reserve the right to decline this request if there is no new information to be considered. We will let you know if this is the case and our complaints process will end.

Where the request is agreed, we will acknowledge that we have received it.

A Manager (who is more senior than the person who investigated) will review the complaint. They will contact you to discuss:

  • What you feel is outstanding
  • What you would like us to do to put things right

You will receive a response as soon as we are able to review your complaint. We will contact you to talk through potential timescales for this to be done.

Once you have received our reply to your Review stage complaint, if you feel that there is something we have not explained, for example, you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed by a Panel. You should request this within 28 days of receiving our response. We do reserve the right to decline this request, as detailed above.

You should explain what you feel is outstanding and what you would like us to do to put things right.  Your complaint will then be referred to a Panel consisting of a member of our Senior Leadership Team, plus two Board or Committee members.

You will be invited to attend so that you can explain your experience. You can also bring a friend or representative with you (this cannot be a legal representative). The Panel will consider all of the information and make a decision. You will receive a letter to explain the decision the Panel have reached.

If you have completed whg’s complaints process and you are unhappy with the decision made, you can contact a designated person to review your complaint.  Designated persons are local councillors or members of parliament.  Information can be found at Walsall Council’s website.

Where a designated person considers that they are unable to resolve a complaint locally and if you have authorised them in writing to do so, they have the option to refer a complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.

As well as designated persons, we are also looking to establish a designated tenant panel to support reviews of complaints.  When this becomes available, contact details for the panel will be provided on this website.

If you are still unhappy after coming to the end of our complaints process – and you do not wish to contact a designated person – you have the option to wait eight weeks and contact the Housing Ombudsman directly using the details below.

You will be able to appeal to the Housing Ombudsman if you are a tenant, leaseholder, letting applicant or have a contractual relationship with us.  You must complain to the Ombudsman within six months of reaching the end of our complaints procedure.

You can contact the Housing Ombudsman Service by post at PO Box 152, Liverpool L33 7WQ, by telephone on 0300 111 3000, by email at or you can visit to complete the online complaints form.

The Ombudsman will check that you have taken your complaint through our complaints procedure before considering your case. If the Ombudsman feels we have done something wrong, they will decide what needs to be done to put things right.

Once a complaint has been looked into by the Ombudsman we will not take any further action to resolve your complaint unless the Ombudsman asks us to.

In July 2020 the Housing Ombudsman Service introduced a Code of Complaints Handling that all landlords, like whg, need to follow. They asked all landlords to produce a self assessment which we have done and can be found here.  We have a strong track record of handling complaints fairly and reasonably but we are always looking to further improve.

In 2021 we will be focusing on involving more customer representatives in our complaints approach and also sharing more information with our Board and customers about how we are performing and lessons we have learnt.  The Housing Ombudsman Service also publishes performance information for all landlords on their website.

We’re really proud that we have a good track record of resolving complaints before they reach this stage but also ensuring we follow up on anything the Housing Ombudsman asks us to do.

There is a range of other help and advice available if you need assistance with the complaints process. Your local MP or Councillor may be able to help you and you can get free independent advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau. You can also speak to a solicitor, who may charge you for their advice, law centres or housing aid and advice centres.

If you want to make a complaint about our services you can either call 0300 555 6666 or email

What are you looking for?

These popular pages may help…

Get involved

Get involved and keep up with what’s happening.


Advice and support services to help you manage your work, finances, health and more.

My account

Everything you need in one place, from paying your rent to reporting a repair.