Leading Midlands landlord whg has been announced as the first Walsall Works Gold Partner, further recognising the contribution it makes to the borough.
The award highlights whg’s partnership with Walsall Works to create prosperity for residents and stimulate growth in the local economy.
Some of the highlights of the activity that whg has carried out includes:
- Supporting over 1,400 people to improve their employment prospects
- Recruiting 23 new apprentices and helping them to develop a wide range of skills
- Focusing on using a Walsall-based supply chain for major building projects
- Creating Community Champions to engage people into employment, training and health and wellbeing opportunities
- Developing strong relationships with local schools to improve attainment
- Creating a social value fund called STAR which provides grants to the voluntary and community sector
- Awarding over £100k to the voluntary and community sector through whg Charitable subsidiary VIEW
- Extensive community, volunteering and social value initiatives
Colleagues from whg picked up the award during the Walsall Works Expo, held at The Hub at Walsall College on Thursday 15th March.
Julie Haywood, whg’s Director of Community Investment, said: “whg is much more than just a provider of homes. We are fully engaged in supporting local people to improve their skills, and employability and local social investment is central to our strategic purpose.
“We have also successfully embedded social value contribution into procurement activities, setting and achieving targets to support the wider benefits to the Walsall community and the local economy.
“We are delighted to become the first Walsall Works Gold Partner, as this further highlights our commitment to improving the prospects of residents in the borough.”