Repairs service update: September 2021
Our dedicated repairs teams are completing more than 200 appointments every day, but we know some customers are having to wait longer than we would like.
Why is this?
- There is currently a national shortage of building materials like doors, timber and glass. This means we are having to cancel some appointments at short notice as we don’t have the right materials to complete the job.
- High demand for materials means we are often finding out supplies are unavailable too late, forcing us to cancel appointments.
- Labour shortages are making it difficult to recruit the skilled tradespeople we need to carry out repairs.
- More repairs are being reported by our customers, resulting in longer waiting times.
- Positive cases of COVID-19 among our repair teams mean some colleagues are having to isolate.
- We are continuing to prioritise emergency repairs so non-urgent repairs are being delayed.
- Recent fuel shortages are making it more challenging for our repair teams to travel to and from appointments
We understand how frustrating it is when appointments are cancelled, especially when you have waited a while or made special arrangements. We don’t want to waste anyone’s time and are pulling out all the stops to improve our service:
- We are doing extra checks of our stores to make sure we have the right materials in stock
- We’ve appointed two new contractors so we can carry out more appointments each day
- Our teams are working longer so we can see as many people as possible
- We will do everything we can to give as much notice as possible if an appointment needs to be rescheduled
While we wait for the situation to improve, this is what you can expect when you book a repair appointment:
- The quickest way to report a repair is online using My whg or you can call customer services on 0300 555 6666
- The wait time for a standard routine repair is currently around five weeks
- You will receive confirmation of your repair appointment by phone and text message or by letter if we are unable to contact you directly
- We will do our best to keep your original appointment. However, we may have to cancel nearer the time. If you are having to make special arrangements (like booking a day off work) we recommend asking a family member or friend to help out if they can
- If you have an emergency and there is an immediate risk to safety, security or health, you must call us on 0300 555 666
Before you book a repair, please remember
- Double check that it isn’t your responsibility to fix. You can check here
- If your repair worsens please get in touch as we may need to adjust the priority of your repair
- Please be patient and kind, we are working around the clock to complete all reported repairs as quickly as possible
All you need to know about repairs
Report a repair
The quickest and easiest way to report and manage repairs is online through My whg.
We have a legal requirement to carry out annual gas safety inspections and regular electrical condition inspections in all of our properties.
Our repairs standards set out the service you can expect from us.
whg Repairs Guide
This document explains what we will do to maintain and repair your home.