Your band is assigned based on the information you give us when you register for Choose & Move. If your circumstances change, you should update your Choose & Move account so that your band can be updated.
- Homeless applicants nominated by Walsall Council.
- Applicants who are unable to live in their current home because of a structural defect, fire or flood.
- Applicants who cannot be discharged from hospital because their current home is unsuitable.
- Applicants who need to move because of a life-threatening illness.
- Applicants leaving institutional care.
- Applicants leaving the Armed Forces.
- Applicants who are overcrowded by two bedrooms, in line with the government's 'national bedroom standard'.
- Applicants who have at least two spare bedrooms and want to downsize to a home with one or two bedrooms.
- Applicants who are unable to live in their current home due to domestic abuse or a risk of extreme harassment or violence.
- Applicants with a housing need which gives them preference e.g. having a moderate medical condition or disability.
- Applicants who are overcrowded by one bedroom, in line with the government's 'national bedroom standard'.
- Applicants who want to move and do not have a specific housing need that fits into either the gold or silver band.
- Applicants who live outside the Walsall borough who are allowed access to the housing register will be placed in this band only.
- Applicants who are tenants of other Registered Providers will be placed in this band only unless nominated in line with agreed protocol.
Reduced preference category
- Applicants who have rent arrears or another debt.
- Applicants who have breached a tenancy agreement and the case has gone to court but remains unresolved.
- Applicants who live in a home that does not meet our property inspection standard for tenants who want to transfer.
Applicants will remain in the reduced preference band until they have taken steps to pay off the debt, put right the breach or modified their behaviour. Bids cannot be made on properties whilst in this band. If the situation is remedied within 12 months of applying the original application date will be kept; if it is not remedied within 12 months the application will be cancelled.