Universal Credit

As part of changes to the welfare reform scheme, the government is introducing Universal Credit, a new way to pay your benefits.

This has already been introduced for single people living in a WS and WV postcode with no dependents, who make new claims.

All other claimants will be gradually transferred to Universal Credit between 2016 and 2019.

You can get an estimate of how much Universal Credit you’ll be entitled to using our Better off in work calculator.

Universal Credit will be paid in arrears, as a single monthly payment in your bank account, replacing:

  • income-based JSA
  • income-related ESA
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit.

You may currently have your housing benefit paid directly to us but, when Universal Credit is introduced, you will be responsible for paying your rent out of this single monthly payment.

It's vital that you keep your rent account up-to-date, and the simplest way to do this is to set up a Direct Debit.

Find out how to apply for universal credit