‘Be a better You’
The Alzheimer’s Society is our chosen charity for this year and to start our colleague health campaign, we’re highlighting some staggering facts about Alzheimer’s disease and why it’s such a worthy cause for support.
Did you know?....
- Alzheimer’s is now one of the fastest growing diseases, a main cause of disability for over 65’s and the leading cause of death in England and Wales for people over 80…. recently knocking heart disease off the top spot.
- Some 850,000 people in the UK have Alzheimer’s the most common form of dementia or other dementia diagnosis. 2/3 of these are Alzheimer cases.
- Alzheimer’s also affect the under 65’s, early onset dementia accounts for over 42,000 people.
- There is no cure, the disease is progressive but early diagnosis can delay advancement. It’s estimated that delaying the onset of dementia by 5 years would halve the number of deaths saving 30,000 lives a year
- Mortality rates have more than doubled since 2010.
- On current growth rates, the number of people having dementia is set to rise to 1 million by 2025 and 2 million by 2051(156% increase!)
- 225,000 people in the UK will develop dementia this year- that’s one every 3 minutes
- Nationally, spend on dementia is much less than other common illnesses such as cancers and heart disease, shockingly, 2/3 of the cost of dementia is paid for by dementia sufferers and their families.
- Staying healthy and reducing the risk. Ongoing research suggests that maintaining a healthy lifestyle - keeping active, eating healthily, not smoking and sensible drinking are all choices we can make to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s.
To find out more about Alzheimer’s and the Alzheimer’s Society go to www.alzheimers.org.uk
Our previous charity - Birmingham Children's Hospital have just received our donation from all the events we did throughout 2016/17 to find out more take a look here.